Washington Northern Logo

Washington Northern Logo

Monday, July 13, 2015

Motive Power!

I wanted to start some work on some locomotives for the railroad. After talking with Kevin, he mailed me some decals for the locomotives when I was finished painting them. My first set of locomotives I would be painting were Kato GP35s. I picked the up off eBay for a decent price. Kevin provided me with the specs for the engines and I printed off some reference photos from Kevin's website, as well as some photos he sent me.

The paint scheme is Burlington Northern Green and Union Pacific Harbor Mist Gray. Painting the locomotives was fun due to the new airbrush I purchased. I am using a Passhe H Series airbrush. Its simple to use, and for a beginner like me, its a great thing to have.

I coated the locomotive body with the BN green, and I taped it once it dried for the application of the UP Gray. Prior to the UP Gray, I added Detail Associates lift rings and a Cal-Scale curved grab iron to the rear. The base of the shell was painted UP Gray with the pilots painted flat black. Once everything is completed, I will paint a clear coat on in preparation for decal application. I also plan on adding a few more detail parts to the front of the locomotive such as MU hoes and the coupler bars. The grab irons are the stock Kato, as well as the handrails.

I also had some figures sitting around. The Kato locomotives do not come with crew members so I added some of my own. Its a mix of custom figures and some Preiser figures. The custom figures are from Melissa at MeDO Miniatures and the Preiser figures are from the crane operators set. I had another set of Preiser figures I plan on customizing for my conductors.







1 comment:

  1. Very nice touch on adding the guys in the cab. Glad your on your way on painting. Really like the route your taking!

    ReplyDelete